Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Race day.

     The day started bright and early with a 7 am bus ride to the venue. Today consisted of heats and a few finals. Our first race for the US started at nine and we were basically on and off the water till four.

     Team USA did amazing today! We had several paddlers advance to their finals, two of them even placed! Megan Bulk and Ann Yoshida put the US on the podium. Ann took home the bronze in the V-1 and Megan took silvers in both K-1 and V-1! They were all such fun races to watch.

      I took third in my first heat, which means that I automatically advance straight to the final tomorrow. So right now I am in the reflection state of mind. I am going over my race in my head and what I can improve on. Which is basically the main reason for me writing all of this fun stuff down. I hope that later me will come back and re read this and hopefully learn something from it.

My Race
      Today my pre race warm up was pretty simple. We arrived at the venue around eightish and my race wasn't until ten fifty so I got in my boat right away just to wake myself up a little bit. Since races were going on we were restricted to the areas we were allowed to be. Just for today we were allowed to go up the 0 lane to get to the 300 meter mark to paddle around. However, tomorrow and on we will have to do the full 1000 meter up on the other lake and then paddle 1000 meters down to the race course. So that should be a good pre race work out. But today I got in my boat right away and paddled up to the 500 meter mark. I would practice my starts to the starts of the other races. When I heard the announcer say “Ready” I stopped and put my paddle over my boat, “Set” I cocked my paddle in the ready position, “GO” I put my left paddle in for the short start and then dug my right stroke to really get the ball going. I would go about twenty meters or so before I stopped. Repeat. Stop. Repeat. Then I headed back to the dock to cheer on my teammates as they started their heats.
    When it came time for me to get into the boat for my own race I felt ready. I checked in with my credentials and the number pinned to the back of my Team USA jersey (1300). When I started to paddling away from the dock it hit me, “Holy pooh I'm in Germany about to race at the World Championship”. Usually I am super nervous before any huge competition, let alone one on the world stage. I was excited, yet surprisingly calm.
     After I get out to the waiting area and paddle around a bit, the announcer declares “two minutes to race time girls, two minutes”. This is the sign that it is time to paddle up to the start gates. Now it is just kinda common knowledge in the sprint kayak world that you don't want to be the first one in the gate. I think it has to do with the fact that it could take the other races several minutes to get themselves situated and so you don't want to have to waste your energy trying to stay in the gate if you dont have to. So as I slowly approach the boot I look around at the other five girls to see how much progress they have made themselves, I notice that Christine (the Canadian who has won this competition for about four or five years now) is on my right and this very intimidating Brazilian is on my left. I was basically in the middle of a fear sandwich.

“Ready” my paddle goes across my cockpit, “Set” I set up to make my first left stroke, “Go”...

    Yeah, right now I honestly couldn't tell you anything about the race. I have come to notice that my mind almost turns off during a race. As soon as that boot goes down and my boat is free, I see nothing but that focal point 200 meters away. “Just go fast” is what I tell myself at the beginning and then tunnel vision starts and my mind goes clear.
    Well what I do know is that I took third in my first heat and that I will advance to the final tomorrow around two German time.

Oh, I also know you can watch my race here!  


No comments:

Post a Comment