Thursday, October 6, 2011

50 K? No Big Deal

What started off as just a day of helping Adaptive Adventures out, turned into one of my most challenging days so far. I was told I was going to be doing a 10 K to just watch the kids, this was even something that I felt uncomfortable with. Considering I had never ridden a hand cycle for more than three minutes, completing a 10 K or about 6 miles seemed like a bit of a stretch for me. Yet somehow Mau convinced me that I should sign up for one of the longer events, the 50 K. Now, I have learned not to question Mau's ways, because most of the time she is right, so I did what I was told. It seemed like an okay idea, until someone told me how long of a ride that was (about 31 miles)! But of course I had alright signed my name up, so it as to late to back down. At the moment I realized there was no turning back, I was petrified! I was about to embark on one of the most physically challenging activities of my life up to this point, who wouldn't be scared? Luckily there were the others who felt my fear, and we all decided we were going to go through this together.
I'm so glad that I had the people around me that I did. We had many laughs along the way to hide the pain! After the struggle to the half way check point, I decided only then that 'okay, yeah, I can do this!'
And I did! I finished a 50 K bike ride, something I never thought I would have an opportunity to do. That in itself has made this trip worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment